Axis and Allies Pacific 1937 Scenario (v1.1)
- by Cublie Moogerheadshot -
Starting time: July 1937. Japan and China are at war. The UK and US are not at war. The US is starting to prepare defenses. The UK is sending Australian troops and supplies to the Middle East via the Suez Canal.
- On turn six, Japan declares war on the UK (if not already at war with the UK).
- Japan may attack the US and UK at any time.
- The US may not attack Japan until Japan attacks the US or Japan has an IPC income of 30 IPCs.
- If the US is attacked before turn six, the UK declares war on Japan immediately and both sides may attack each other as normal.
- Japan may not attack the UK before turn six unless the UK declares war on Japan.
- The first time Japan attacks either allied power excluding China, that allied power's units defend at a roll of one.
- China does not collect troops from the Burma Road until turn six or until the UK declares war on Japan.
- If Japan attacks only the US, before turn six, resulting in the UK automatically declaring war on Japan, then UK units defend normally after that turn is done.
- Japan does not begin collecting Victory Points until the US declares war on them.
- If the US declares war on Japan because Japan is generating 30 or more IPCs per turn, Japan's Victory Point objective is raised to 25.
- The US and UK receive no IPCs until they declare war on Japan!
At the start of some turns new units are placed on the map:
- On turn one, add one aircraft carrier with two fighters to SZ 5 for the US.
- On turn two, add one destroyer to SZ 38 for the US.
- On turn three, add one destroyer to SZ 9 for the US.
- On turn four, add one destroyer to SZ 5 for the US.
- On turn five, add one destroyer to SZ 5 for the US.
- On turn six, add one destroyer to SZ 9 for the US.
If the US declares war on Japan, they no longer receive any more units.
Japan - 11 IPC
- Japan - 7 inf, 2 rtl, 1 arm, 1 ftr, 1 bmr, 1 aa, 1 ic
- Korea - 2 inf, 1 rtl, 1 arm
- Manchuria - 6 inf, 2 rtl, 1 arm, 1 ftr, 1 aa
- Ryukyu Is. - 2 inf, 1 ftr (was: 1 inf)
- Bonin Is. - 2 inf, 1 ftr
- Mariana Is. - 2 inf, 1 ftr
- Formosa - 1 inf, 1 ftr
- Palau Is. - 2 inf (was: 1 inf)
- Marshall Is. - 2 inf
- Caroline Is. - 4 inf, 2 rtl, 2 ftr, 1 bmr, 1 ac (was: 1 ftr)
- SZ 18 - 1 DD
- SZ 23 - 1 ac, 2 ftr
- SZ 24 - 1 trn, 1 BB
- SZ 25 - 1 trn
- SZ 26 - 2 trn, 1 bb, 1 dd, 1 sub
- SZ 34 - 1 trn, 1 dd
- SZ 35 - 1 dd, 1 transport
- SZ 36 - 2 trn, 1 sub, 1 bb, 1 ac, 2 ftr, 1 sub
- SZ 37 - 2 trn, 1 BB
NOTE: units listed in bold indicate a change; the initial setup included in version 1.0 did not include these units.
- Shantung - 5 inf, 1 rtl
- Anhwe - 3 inf
- Suiyuan - 3 inf
- Hopei - 2 inf
- Hunan - 1 inf
- Kiangsi - 1 inf
- Kwangsi - 1 inf
- Yunnan - 2 inf
- Kweichow - 2 inf
- Szechwan - 3 inf, 1 rtl, 1 ftr, 1 aa, 1 ic
- Sikang - 1 inf
- Tsinghai - 1 inf
- Hainan - Empty
- SZ 45: 1 transport
China does not receive income. However, it receives one infantry for each area worth any number of IPCs. So China starts receiving 3 infantry. Use Russian from A&A Europe to represent Chinese units like the transport in SZ 45 and the fighter in Szechwan..
- British Commonwealth - 12 IPCs
- Indian - 20 IPCs
- Australian - 20 IPCs
- India - 4 inf, 1 arm, 1 ftr, 1 aa, 1 ic
- Burma - 1 rtl, 1 inf
- Shan State - 1 inf
- Siam - 1 inf
- Fr. Indochina - 2 inf, 1 rtl
- Hong Kong - 2 inf
- Malaya - 3 inf, 1 ftr
- Sumatra - 1 inf
- Borneo - 1 inf
- Java - 2 inf
- Celebes - 1 inf
- Papua - 2 inf, 1 ftr
- New Britain - 1 inf
- Solomon Is. - 1 inf
- W. Australia - 2 inf, 1 rtl
- N. Territory - 1 inf
- Queensland - 2 inf, 1 rtl, 1 ftr, 1 aa
- Dutch New Guinea - Empty
- New Guinea - Empty
- Gilbert Is. - Empty
- S. Australia - Empty
- New South Wales - 1 inf, 1 rtl, 1 aa, 1 ic
- New Hebrides - 1 inf
- Fiji - 1 inf
- New Zealand - 1 inf, 1 aa, 1 ic
- Canada - 1 inf
- SZ 29 - 1 trn, 1 dd
- SZ 30 - 1 trn
- SZ 40 - 1 trn
- SZ 41 - 1 trn
- SZ 42 - 1 trn, 1 inf, 1 rtl
- SZ 43 - 2 dd
- SZ 46 - 1 dd, 1 bb
- SZ 50 - 1 bb, 1 ac, 1 ftr
- SZ 54 - 1 trn, 1 dd
US - 75 IPCs
- United States - 2 inf, 1 rtl, 1 arm, 1 bmr, 1 aa, 1 ic
- Hawaii - 2 mar, 2 ftr, 1 bmr, 1 ic
- Aleutian Is. - 1 inf, 1 bmr
- Johnston Is. - 1 mar
- Midway Is. - 1 mar
- Wake Is. - 1 mar
- Guam - 1 mar
- Line Is. - 1 mar
- Samoa - 1 mar
- Philippines - 1 inf, 1 mar, 1 rtl, 1 ftr
- SZ 3 - 2 sub
- SZ 5 - 3 trn
- SZ 6 - 1 sub
- SZ 8 - 1 dd
- SZ 9 - 1 trn, 3 bb
- SZ 10 - 1 trn
- SZ 11 - 1 trn, 1 ac, 2 ftr
- SZ 38 - 2 trn
China & United States
Once the US is in the war, China's turn is integrated into the US turn. And because of the greater importance China will have in the beginning of the game, they will receive one infantry unit for each IPC they produce, instead of one for each of their territories that produces IPCs.
Shantung starts as the Chinese capital. Once it's taken over the factory, aa gun, and capital are moved to Szechwan. This gives them more power but prevents the Japanese from getting a factory on mainland Asia.
When Japan and the UK go to war, a die is rolled to determine the affiliation of FIC. If it's a high roll (4, 5, or 6), then the UK units there are removed from the board and it's controlled by Japan. If it's a low roll (1, 2, or 3), nothing happens.
Same as in regular game, except that Japan doesn't begin collecting victory points until it goes to war with the US.
Japan attacking US and UK
Japan may attack the US and the UK at any time. To prevent them from waiting around for hundreds of turns, they must declare war on the UK on turn six if they haven't already.
United Kingdom entering the war
The UK declares war on Japan when Japan declares war on the UK by attacking or reaching turn six, or if Japan attacks the US. On the same turn as the declaration, the UK defends at 1. Afterwards, they defend normally.
History: The reason turn six is chosen for the UK to enter the war is that this is starting in mid-1937. Assuming a six-month turn, turn six would be mid-1940. French Indochina was attacked and taken over by Japan in mid 1940. Japan was too occupied with China until then.
United States entering the war
The US declares war on Japan when Japan either attacks the US or gets an income of 30 IPCs. They do not automatically go to war with Japan when Japan attacks the UK. After all, they waited a few years until they entered the European conflict. On the turn during which the US declares war on Japan, they defend at a 1. After the declaration has been out for a turn, then they defend normally. Because Japan can only reach a certain income during the Japan turn, the US declares war on them for income reasons during the US turn.
Version 1.1 Setup
The setup was adjusted. Japan gained some units.
I just counted it up and Japan is missing 243 IPCs worth of forces, if you subtract the amount of income they get on their first six turns (provided they don't declare war on either power until then). Here's the added units:
- 1 arm to Korea
- 1 inf, 1 ftr to Ryukyu
- 1 ftr to Bonin
- 1 inf, 1 ftr to Marianas
- 1 inf to Palau
- 1 ftr to Carolines
- 1 dd to SZ 18 1 ac, 2 ftr to SZ 23
- 1 bb to SZ 24
- 1 sub to SZ 26
- 1 trn to SZ 35
- 1 sub to SZ 36
- 1 bb to SZ 37
Total cost of new units: 188 IPCs. This should balance the game out more. Japan can concentrate its resources towards China or they can get into a position to attack the US. They don't have any fear of a preemptive strike on the US's part, and this is a major advantage.