Hi RogerCooper -- we are excited to have Axis & Allies Wiki as part of the Wikia community!
Starting a new wiki can be a big job, but don't worry, the Wikia Community Team is here to help! We have put together a few guides to getting started. They say imitation is the best form of flattery so absolutely check out other wikis on Wikia for ideas on layout, ways to organize your content, etc. We are all one big family at Wikia and the most important thing is to have fun!
- Our guide to Getting Started gives you 5 things you can do right now to set your wiki up for success
- We also put together some Advice On Starting a Wiki which provides a more a in-depth look at some of the important things you should consider when building a wiki
- If you are new to wikis in general than we recommend checking our new user FAQ
Now, go edit! We look forward to seeing this project thrive!
Best wishes, Catherine Munro
- 1 Hi!
- 2 List of scenarios I've posted
- 3 Spoils of War
- 4 Imperialism FFA
- 5 Images
- 6 Ger. doesnt lose in europe verson w/o any rule changes needed contact bob .:6l8-882-8289 4 strats .! .
- 7 hi roger my name is bob a long time a&a gamer my topic is europe ger. generaly wins this seems to be against the norm o/all view but 4 trys & 2 detrs lst rd ger buy . puts rus on her back long b4 us can become a facter ea. buy after ger. always buys
- 8 hi roger my name is bob a long time a&a gamer my topic is europe ger. generaly wins this seems to be against the norm o/all view but 4 trys & 2 detrs lst rd ger buy . puts rus on her back long b4 us can become a facter ea. buy after ger. always buys
- 9 Glad I found you!
- 10 Notice about Upcoming Page Template Changes
- 11 Deletions
- 12 Category:Scenarios
- 13 Axis & Allies scenarios
- 14 MOrganization possibilities
- 15 Pact of Steel?
- 16 Axis and Allies Europe: WWI Scenario
Hi RogerCooper! I'm adoY. I just joined this wiki and would like to be a big help in improving these articles and converting some of these scenarios to TripleA. I have already converted a few of the scenarios on this wiki but have yet to post them anywhere. I have also made some of my own scenarios and would like to post some here. I have noticed that you've done almost all the work on this wiki. I think you could use some help! If you could leave a message on my Talk page ASAP that would be great. I look forward to working on this project with you! AdoY 20:49, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
I would welcome some assistance. Go right ahead and post your scenarios. I will put them on my personal webpage, so I know the links will be stable.
Alright. I converted the Vietnam scenario I'll post that first as a test. Thanks for being willing to post my scenarios on your webpage! AdoY 23:15, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
Ok the Vietnam scenario is up on this site. I've temporarily posted it on RapidShare for you to download and post on your webpage (I tested the download and it works just fine). I'll do this with all the scenarios I post from now on if that's alright with you. AdoY 23:52, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
You really need to get your own e-mail address. I have downloaded your file and I will poist it late.
Yeah it makes things complicated but I haven't figured out the whole e-mail thing yet. Believe me I'm working on it! For now I'll post them on RapidShare and post the links on this site. Once you've posted them on your site I'll take care of changing the link on this site. I'll create a list of scenarios I've posted for your convenience. Thanks again for your help! AdoY 22:49, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
List of scenarios I've posted
Eleven Army Free For All
Twelve Army Free For All
Thirteen Army Free For All
AdoY 02:50, 29 May 2009 (UTC)
Spoils of War
I've emailed you the Spoils of War scenario. Thanks for putting Twelve Army Free For All and Vietnam on your website! If you need any more scenarios, email me and let me know. AdoY 18:58, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
I posted a new scenario Imperialism FFa the correct way. Sorry for the previous confusion/mistakes.
I'm new here, and I'm trying to help out by fixing up the non-TripleA part of this Wiki, which is lacking (to say the least). However, I'm having a lot of trouble with images. The one I did put in isn't functioning properly, rather, it's putting a big space in the middle of the article. The caption is appearing big and bold, rather than the small text seen in most articles. As for other images, I'm unable to upload them at all! For the ANZAC article I was going to put up an image of their starting territory, but, despite the image being saved as a JPEG file, it won't upload at all. If you could help me figure images out, I could fix up and add to this wiki considerably.
Oh, and how do you add information bars (or whatever they're called) to the side of the article? I'm at a complete loss there.
Hewhoisnickel 20:18, August 18, 2010 (UTC)
Ger. doesnt lose in europe verson w/o any rule changes needed contact bob .:6l8-882-8289 4 strats .! .
<p /> I assume you are referring to AAE40. The Russians play defensively and screen. The Americans use their immense income to build transports (after an initial carrier build). With the US delivering 10 ground units a turn to Europe, the Germans quickly lose their initiative. The global game is better balanced.
hi roger my name is bob a long time a&a gamer my topic is europe ger. generaly wins this seems to be against the norm o/all view but 4 trys & 2 detrs lst rd ger buy . puts rus on her back long b4 us can become a facter ea. buy after ger. always buys
hi roger my name is bob a long time a&a gamer my topic is europe ger. generaly wins this seems to be against the norm o/all view but 4 trys & 2 detrs lst rd ger buy . puts rus on her back long b4 us can become a facter ea. buy after ger. always buys
Which version of A&A are you playing? I am have trouble reading your post, could you please avoid using abbreviationsRogerCooper 10:23, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
Glad I found you!
Greetings Roger, and thanks for your welcome message. I am delighted to have discovered your Wiki! I used to play A&A a lot c. 1984-85 and now have jumped back in with the 1940 set. What fun! I especially like the AAG40 Balanced variant rules, and I'm looking forward to trying out TripleA soon; what a fabulous free gift it is! Thanks for making this all happen, and best wishes for 2011!
Dgt99 19:26, December 31, 2010 (UTC)Dave / dgt99
i AM a newbie to the wiki but i love triplea
i have edited several other articles
r u the only 1 here?
Notice about Upcoming Page Template Changes
Hello! I'm part of the Community Support Team at Wikia, and I want to let you know about an upcoming change that will affect this wiki.
This wiki is using a feature called CreatePlates, which is old and buggy and is being phased out. It is scheduled for removal from this wiki next Tuesday, March 29, 2011. This change will not affect the appearance of the wiki or any of its content.
It will, however, affect the templating options members see when they create new pages.
To help you manage this transition, we've set up our more current templating tool, LayoutBuilder, to allow you to pre-build new layouts before CreatePlates is disabled. LayoutBuilder is slightly different than CreatePlates in that it lets you create highly structured page layouts that maintain their shape over time. If you'd like to see it fully in action, you can try it out on our test wiki, which allows anyone to create new templates. (Users will be able to access your new LayoutBuilder templates as soon as CreatePlates is turned off.)
Another thing you may want to adjust is your "Standard Template" page, which will be an additional option presented to users when they create new pages. Standard Template is different from LayoutBuilder templates-- it's just a content starting point for an otherwise normal, non-templated page. You can change the appearance of your Standard Template at MediaWiki:Newpagelayout.
You can also choose not to worry about this, and do nothing. That's fine, too. Members will still be able to create new pages in whatever style they want -- they just won't have templates to choose from.
Please be sure to let your community members know about this coming change. If you have any questions, you can get in touch with me here, on my talk page, or through Special:Contact. Thanks for maintaining such a wonderful wiki!
You have deleted numerous pages while providing "housekeeping" as the reason for doing so. Seeing as most of the categories deleted are somewhat important to the running of the wiki, can you please restore them? Similarly, why did you delete the disambiguation template? And why Infantry? Auguststorm1945 22:49, May 1, 2011 (UTC)
I generally delete categories which aren't used. In addition, some categories and articles which I created when I first started the wiki, didn't fit in as the wiki developed (such as Scenarios). --RogerCooper 10:12, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Pardon my saying so, but that doesn't explain why you deleted the disambiguation template, which was being used, as well as its associated category. Or why you removed the Infantry article, which details the basic unit in Axis & Allies. And just because a category isn't being used does not mean that it's not important. My apologies if I sound a bit frustrated, but navigating this wiki is extremely difficult - I play the board game often, and we've got almost no information about it. Auguststorm1945 19:42, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
Disambiguation appeared the list of unused templates. The infantry article was probably deleted by error, but there wasn't much in it. I would happy to see you contribute some articles, For example, there are almost no strategy articles about the specific games, only a general Strategy article. Do you have some specific ideas on how to improve navigation? I have been working on a Rules Comparison article, but it would be good to have someone else to a look at it.
Most of the wiki is scenarios, for board and computer versions of the game. I started the wiki as a way of organizing the material I had collected, and making it available to all. (Most of the boardgame scenarios for AAC came from now vanished website).--RogerCooper 22:13, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
- I'm happy to contribute, but can you please restore a number of deleted articles? Starting from scratch, especially for pages that already had plenty of content is a headache I'd much rather avoid. And yes, I've noticed how much more Triple-A related material there is than actual Axis & Allies articles.
- I've done quite a bit of work on wikis, yes, so I do have some familiarity with Project Pages, navigation, templates, categories, and the like. Auguststorm1945 23:47, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
Any articles deleted were either very short or duplicates. Don't worry about restoring the material, just create your own. I am sure you could write a better Infantry article.
My main focus has been supporting TripleA. In practical terms, there is both more to say about TripleA (every scenario is an article) and more opportunity to play (we have a monthly meetup on Long Island, but I play 1-2 games of TripleA per week). If you feel that not enough articles on boardgame topices, go write some. Of course, some articles are applicable to both.--RogerCooper 22:19, May 3, 2011 (UTC)
- It would still make the task of writing those articles significantly easier if you would restore them. Similarly, please restore: Template:Delete, Template:Disambig, Category:Category templates, Category:Article management templates, Category:Disambiguations,,
- These categories, templates, and project pages are both useful and important to the functionality of a wiki. I'm sorry, but I will not spend several hours flipping through various wikis I work on to restore identical content that already exists, and can easily be restored.
- As you say, your focus is on Triple-A - mine is not. When I first came to this wiki - the Axis & Allies Wiki - a little short of a year ago, I found it nigh unnavigable. I understand you wish to organize and improve the wiki, and that that process takes quite some time. I similarly understand the pairing of Triple-A and the Axis and Allies series, despite the often significant differences between them. I do want to contribute to the wiki, and will continue to do so. Auguststorm1945 01:03, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
I restored the deleted templates.--RogerCooper 21:45, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
I recently recreated the category Category:Scenarios, which you have previously deleted three times. I'm asking you not to delete it this time, with the understanding that it will not be for the scenarios themselves, but rather a root category for the scenario categories. That way, it does not increase the difficult of navigation, but rather reduces it. Does that sound agreeable? Auguststorm1945 19:04, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
I don't really see the point of have a scenarios 'supercategory' but I will leave it in if you really want it. Having it deleted makes it easier for me to reclassify the articles which are still are still marked under the scenarios category.
I am trying to keep the number of categories limited and consistent. In many wikis, articles are classified inconsistently, making the categories less useful.
You have create a new category of Axis & Allies Scenarios. What is the point of this category? How is different from Boardgame Scenarios?--RogerCooper 23:00, May 5, 2011 (UTC)
Axis & Allies scenarios
Why is it necessary? Because you have incorporated so many game variants, a good number of them unrelated to Axis & Allies or TripleA, that "Boardgame scenarios" is simply too vague. It's the same reason you created Category:TripleA Scenarios - to differentiate TripleA from everything else. As someone who is actually playing the boardgames, I'd like to be able to find something that is actually Axis & Allies, and not something completely different. Auguststorm1945 23:35, May 5, 2011 (UTC)
I think Boardgame scenario clearly refers to Axis & Allies Boardgame scenarios on the Axis & Allies Wiki. We can't have 2 categories meaning the same thin. On the other hand, Axis & Allies scenarios does not make clear that TripleA scenarios are excluded. As far as I know there is no way of doing a mass category change, so we need to manually change every Boardgame Scenario article to TripleA Scenario. So why not leave everything at Boardgame Scenario?
We really need to coordinate categories or we will have chaos?
- My intent was to do exactly that. And no, "Boardgame scenario" isn't very clear. I can make Category:Axis & Allies scenarios a subcategory of Category:Boardgame Scenarios if you'd like. On a side note, thank you for fixing the categories for Invasion U.S.A..
- Additionally, this is the Axis & Allies Wiki, not the TripleA Wiki; if we have a category specifically for TripleA scenarios, why shouldn't we have one for what, you know, the wiki is named for? Auguststorm1945 02:31, May 7, 2011 (UTC)
Are they any boardgame scenarios in the Axis & Allies Wiki which aren't Axis & Allies scenarios? You have now made the wiki harder to use. If someone is looking for a specific scenario, they can't just look in the Boardgame scenarios any more. I also view 'Axis & Allies Scenarios' as confusing. All the scenarios here are 'Axis & Allies' (except for the stuff marked 'Similar Games'). The fundamental distinction is between playing with physical pieces on a physical board or playing on a computer
I created this wiki and have created hundreds of articles. Can you understand why am I annoyed that somebody just decided to change my categorization system without any discussion? You are entitled to prefer the name 'Axis & Allies Scenarios' to 'Boardgame Scenarios'. But changing it would require change every article and reference. It would also require consultation with the other editors (which basically is just me).
I would like you to change all the 'Axis & Allies Scenarios' back to 'Boardgame Scenarios'. Feel free to create you own categories, but don't delete mine. I deleted 'scenarios' because I thought you were using an obsolete category I should not have created in the first place.
I appreciate the work you put in, and I would like to see you contribute more material. Please show the same respect for the work I have done. --RogerCooper 14:13, May 7, 2011 (UTC)
- My apologies - what category of yours did I delete? And how did I delete it, exactly, given that I am unable to do that? And yes, actually, there are quite a few boardgames on this "Axis & Allies" wiki that have nothing - nothing - to do with Axis & Allies. We appear to be at an impasse - you believe I am making the wiki more confusing and harder to use, whereas I have your original 'system' utterly unnavigable, bewildering, and ultimately frustrating (to the extent that I gave up editing here at all the last time I attempted to contribute). In what way would you like us to endeavor to progress?
- Additionally, how have I disrespected you or your work? I have never vandalized any article intentionally, and if I have contributed in some way that you have perceived as vandalism, please point it out to me.
- I hope we can come to some sort of resolution. Auguststorm1945 22:19, May 7, 2011 (UTC)
Although some non A&A stuff is here, it is categorized as 'Similar Games'. Everything labeled as 'Boardgame Scenarios' was for the boardgame versions of A&A. How does having 2 categories covering scenarios for the boardgame versions easier to navigate? I could understand creating additional categories, which might be useful.
Before, if you wanted to find a specific scenario, you could look under the boardgame scenarios category and find it. Now, you can't. You didn't delete my categories, but you did delete the category tags from the articles. Don't delete a Category tag unless it is clearly in error.
If you want to categorize articles differently, suggest a new system. Currently scenarios articles (which are most of the articles characterized as follows.
- Boardgame Scenarios or TripleA Scenarios or Similar Games
- Historical or Hypothetical or Fictional or Abstract
- World or Europe or Pacific or geographical regions
- Starting Year
There is certainly room for more category tags (and there are some I tried using but found unsatisfactory). What system do you have in mind?
In reviewing "Axis & Allies Scenarios" I noticed that you took out the timeline and geography tags. Why?
Well, a number of things, really:
- A number of infobox templates for articles, specifically: Units, House Rules/Rule Variations, Games, Scenarios, and Companies.
- Part of the reason I defend Category:Axis & Allies scenarios so much is a result of trying to make symmetrical categorizations (for A&A and Triple-A, respectively): each has its own categories for scenarios and units, though there will likely be some overlap, especially in the case of the latter.
- Some form of standardization for article titles.
- Additional navigation templates.
- Changing some category names (and yeah, would be a bit irksome to do, but would likely be very beneficial in the long run; no need to rush though).
- Writing up some policy pages to avoid future conflicts.
- A thoroughly detailed MOS.
I have some experience with templates and project pages, among other things. Auguststorm1945 02:51, May 8, 2011 (UTC)
I still don't see the benefit of recategorizing some articles in 'Boardgame Scenarios' to 'Axis & Allies Scenarios'. No additional information is imparted. A lot of work is required. 'Boardgame' is shorter than 'Axis & Allies'. It seem unnecessary to categorize things on the Axis & Allies wiki as being 'Axis & Allies'. The key distinction is between the physical games and computer games.
I could see a separate category for just the Hasbro-published games (as opposed to the scenarios designed to use the same board and pieces). But they should still be listed as 'Boardgame Scenarios'.
The 'units' category was rather undeveloped and could be easily redone. I do wonder whether is worth putting much effort into units. There isn't really much of interest to say about individual units. A table detailing characteristics of the same units across different games might be of interest, I did some work of this sort in Rules Comparison but there is plenty more to be said. Theoretically you could list every unit used in a game in the article, but what would be the point?
I could also see categorizing boardgame material by game. The problem with this is that much material is applicable to some extent for most games. The AA50-41 setup works quite nicely for AAG40 (I actually played it). AAR and AA42 are quite similar so most stuff for one would apply to others.
In general, Wiki categories are best handled as tags rather than taxonomic divisions. For example, a 'World War 2' category would make sense, but we wouldn't want to eliminate the categories for individual years. If the 'World War 2' category just had the individual years as subcategories, it would not be useful. What makes a category useful is that it has individual articles that can listed. --RogerCooper 13:35, May 8, 2011 (UTC)
- Actually, I did some research yesterday and there are quite a few boardgames that "expand" upon Axis & Allies - but aren't of the same brand, or even the same general scope. Also, I've found that quite a few of the TripleA scenarios are also Boardgames in their own right, so some disambiguation pages will likely be in order. Actually, I've found so much material, I believe that separating games by company (i.e. a category for Xeno Games, etc.) will be extremely helpful.
- And, quick question - why does it matter if the word "boardgame" is shorter than the phrase "Axis & Allies"? I've got no clue why that would be important at all.
- Also, as you have said, your area of interest is very specifically TripleA; thus, the key difference - to you - is between the physical games and computer games. I haven't played the computer variants (neither the commercial ones nor TripleA), but I do love the boardgames - to me, differentiating between an Axis & Allies game (Such as Axis & Allies: Revised or a scenario designed for Revised) and something different (Such as the Fortress America boardgame and its computer equivalents) is important. My apologies for being somewhat irritable previously, but it did feel like someone was frustrating me intentionally.
- Last thing (for the moment) - how would you like some new Infobox templates? Auguststorm1945 18:18, May 8, 2011 (UTC)
So, why don't we leave the Category "Boardgame Scenarios" as the most general one for everything designed to be played with the the Axis & Allies boardgames (even they provide full rulesets), and "Axis & Allies Scenarios" for the officially trademarked stuff. Everything with the "Axis & Allies Scenarios" tag would also have the "Boardgame Scenarios" tag (so you can find them both ways).
Games like Fortress: America I classify as "Similar Games". There a few borderline cases in which I used both the 'Similar Games' tag and the 'Boardgame Scenarios' tag (like World at War). The borderline cases use the Hasbro pieces with a new map (World at War, East & West) or the Hasbro map with new pieces (Table Tactics stuff).
How do you want to handle scenarios which use only the equipment of the official games? It would seem to make sense to give them the "Axis & Allies Scenarios" tag. You might create a "Hasbro" tag that covers only the official games (including Strategy Articles), but excluding scenarios. Optional rules that are in the Hasbro games would also receive this tag. How should the official Iron Blitz computer game be handled?
Thank you for adding the TripleA D-day map to this wiki.
I thought i'd update it to the last version i made.
I'd like to add this wiki was of great value creating the map.
Secondly, can you update the downloadlink or delete it if the map can only be downloaded through TripleA.
Just send me the new map by e-mail to RogerCoop@aol.com. I will replace the file with the new one.
It would be good if we had links to both code usages (playerAttatchment, PlayerAttatchment).
Most of the attatchments are the wrong case in the page usages and the javaClass spelling is the norm.
Could lead to confusion especially for aircheck stuff and possible future engine work.
Is it possible to batch change wiki hyperlinks on an admin level?
All in all great work Roger!!!
Unfortunately, all article titles start with an upper case letter, that is simply the way the wiki software works. There is no way of doing a batch change. All you can do is make sure that case is correct within the text.
RogerCooper (talk) 15:53, December 25, 2013 (UTC)
Pact of Steel?
I was thinking of creating a "Pact of Steel" category, and I was wondering what you thought of that--Robert Treat 07:33, May 29, 2012 (UTC)
Trying to categorize scenarios by base map would be difficult, as many maps have slight modifications. The POS map itself is a modified version of the AAR map. And there are hundreds of scenarios you would need to classify. by base map. It might be worthwhile effort, but a would be lot of work.
RogerCooper 10:19, May 29, 2012 (UTC)
Axis and Allies Europe: WWI Scenario
Hello, I am Interest in playing the WWI setup that you have editted: Road Rage's WWI. However the initial setup does not appear to be there. It seem as though the last two lines are intended to be links and they are not showing properly. If not should I just apply the old german setup to the france/italy area?
188.8.131.52 20:17, July 4, 2012 (UTC)
This scenario I salvaged from a now defunct website. I have no other information on it. Try to work out your own setup and post it.RogerCooper 23:06, July 4, 2012 (UTC)
184.108.40.206 21:41, July 4, 2012 (UTC)
Just have 1 simple question, how many editors are on this wiki.
I am the only active editor at the moment. Are you interesting in posting some material?
RogerCooper (talk) 02:46, August 4, 2012 (UTC)
Hi Roger, I added a category called ATGun in a wrong place, no clue how to remove it. Should be a page within TripleaUnits so.
I clear at unused categories every year. Don't worry about and go ahead and post new materia.
RogerCooper (talk) 21:34, March 13, 2013 (UTC)
Hi RogerCooper, I'm working on making the Axis and Allies wiki a more visually appealing and easy to navigate place. I've already improved a number of nation and unit pages and I have made the Axis and Allies Wiki home page better by adding a slider. I'm going to make a wiki icon and background, which I will post soon. Can you add them to the wiki once they are ready?