Download Global 1942 Second Edition
Credits: Bung, Veqryn, (edits for 1942 scenario by MiniAlien)
This game uses the latest Global 1942 rules in combination with the Global 1940 2nd Edition (successor to Alpha +3) rules, as posted on Larry's website.
To blitz move mech_infantry with armour, you must click on them both at the same time (use CTRL to create waypoints).
Paratroopers tech enables a second combat movement phase which happens right after the first combat movement phase, and the second one only allowes movement of paratrooping infantry.
The game is not meant to take over your responsibility in knowing the rules. For example, the game engine is not always going to restrict or allow certain attacks. It is your responsibility to know the rules and abide by them. Most of the game notes that follow can be thought of as differences compared to WWIIv3 or WWIIv4 rules but obviously are not a complete manual for the game. Beginners to these games are suggested to ask for help in the lobby or on the forums at http://www.tripleawarclub.org
You must always validate your own movement, especially air movement at sea. The engine is not perfect.
If you ever need to create new UK units, always create "British" units, do not create "UK_Pacific" units (except for Factories, all UK_Pacific units turn into British units when placed normally).
The Warbonds technology will give the PUs to the British, please use edit mode if you want some of it to go to UK Pacific.
You may also need to use edit mode to correct things listed below.
Below is a list of rules that the TripleA game engine either does not enforce, or enforces incorrectly, at this point.
Each item starts with a code in parentheses that represents how you may fix or correct the rule.
(PE) = Player Enforced = You must be aware of the rule and must follow it. The engine will not stop you from breaking the rule.
(CL) = Comment Log = You must record what you are doing in the comment log, because TripleA does not keep that information around. (To access the comment log, go to the 'view' menu, and click 'show comment log', then type a comment there.)
(SR) = Save/Reload = You may save the game now or at the start of the phase, then reload it, in order to solve this problem.
(EM) = Edit Mode = You must use Edit Mode to correct or fix the error, because the engine either disallows the rule or otherwise does something wrong that you can correct.
(NA) = None Available = There is no fix available for this yet.
Rules specific to 1940 the engine does not do, but you must follow:
- (EM) You may ask for permission during your turn to move through a canal owned by a power you are not yet at war with (use edit mode to move them).
* (EM) India (UK Pacific) must pay for repairing any damaged facilities on the pacific half of the board (instead of London paying) (use edit mode to subtrack the PUs from India and give back to London).
* (CL) TripleA does not keep track of which neutral territories have been previously attacked (use comment log to keep track of this instead).
* (PE) You are not allowed to blitz or move any units through Friendly Neutrals, including the same turn they are captured, unless they have been previously attacked.
* (PE) You may not land air units in Friendly Neutrals, including the same turn they are captured, unless they have been previously attacked.
* (PE) You can not fly over unfriendly neutrals, unless they are being attacked or they have previously been attacked.
* (PE) Friendly Neutrals can not be 'captured' with an AA Gun, only by land units with an attack power.
* (PE) You may not build facilities on territories that were Dutch at the start of your turn.
* (PE) You may not attack a territory containing units owned by a nation that you are not at war with (even if the territory is owned by someone you are at war with).
* (PE) USA may not end movement in seazone adjacent to Japanese controlled territories when not at war with Japan (Sea Zones 6, 17, 19, 20, 22, 32, 33, 34, 36, and 37).
* (EM) Japan can fly over UK and French territories before going to war with them.
* (EM) USA does not have to declare war at the end of USA 3 if they do not want to.
* (PE) You may not conduct an amphibious assault from an allied transport if the defender could scramble and you have no other combat units to protect that transport.
* (EM) If Russia is at war with Italy, but not with Germany, a German warship in sz125 will cancel Russia's national objective (and same if at war with Germany but not Italy, and there is an Italian boat in sz125).
* (EM) If UK Pacific captures Japan, the money should go to UK Pacific, even if UK Pacific's capital is occupied.
* (EM) You must place all units you purchased if you are able to, or as many as you can. Any units not placed get refunded to you (TripleA instead carries them over to the next turn).
* (PE) The victory conditions must be held for a full continuous round after they are achieved (so for example if Italy takes Egypt as the 8th European VC, then the Axis must hold 8 VCs continuously until Italy's next turn).
* (NA) During an SBR, AA fire and casualty selection should be done on a per-facility-being-attacked basis.
* (EM) Rocket damage to an airfield should occur after scrambling, which means if an airbase is disabled by the rocket attack, it could still scramble this turn.
* (PE) Paratroopers (airborne) may not attack multiple territories from a single airbase.
General rules for all A&A games that the engine does not do, but you must follow:
- (PE) Battles should be resolved in this order: all SBR, then all Amphibious Assaults, then all others.
* (SR or EM) Repairing and Purchase are should actually be done at the same time.
* (CL) TripleA does keep track of which units are on which transports, but there is no easy way to see this information when it is not your turn.
* (CL) TripleA should, but does not keep track of which air units are on which carriers.
* (PE) All air moved must have a way of potentially being picked up or landing, and all air that survives combat MUST be picked up if possible.
* (PE) TripleA should not allow non-combat moves to be done during combat move phase.
* (PE) Only non-air units that did not move during combat move and did not participate in combat, may move during non-combat-move.
* (PE) Transports can only be loaded in 1 phase (not both), and unloaded in 1 phase (not both).
* (PE) Transports if unloading for amphibious assault, must unload all their units, and may not hold back some units while offloading other units.
* (NA) Rocket attacks should all be chosen first, before any dice and results are shown.
* (NA) You should be able to SBR / Rocket attack an empty territory that you are blitzing.
* (NA) Each phase of combat should have all units in that phase fire before any casualty selection occurs, whereas right now in TripleA if air and subs are involved then units might be broken up into smaller groups and casualty selection done for each group.
* (EM) If you select for a bombardment from a sea zone, you should be able to select which units you want to have bombard, but currently all possible units are used.
Victory Conditions To win with the following victory conditions, a side must maintain it for a complete round of play and must also control at least one of its own capital cities.
Axis Victory: 8 European Victory Cities OR 6 Pacific Victory Cities where at least one is Rome/Berlin/Japan. Allied Victory: Berlin and Rome and Japan are under allied control and allies maintain control of one of their own capitals.
Canals/Straits There are 5 canals/straits in the game with the following set of conditions.
|Canal/Strait Name||Geographical Location||Land Movement Restriction||Control for Ship Movement|
|Panama Canal||Central America is one territory through which ships can move.||None. It requires no movement to cross.||Central America|
|Suez Canal||Connects Trans-Jordan and Egypt. Connects sea zone 81 and 98.||Possible.||Egypt and Trans-Jordan|
|Strait of Gibraltar||Connects sea zone 91 and 92.||Not possible.||Only Gibraltar, except there are no control restrictions on submarines.|
|Danish Straits||Connects sea zone 112 and 113.||Not possible.||Only Denmark.|
|Turkish Straits||Connects sea zones 99 and 100. Turkey is one territory through which ships can move.||None. It requires no movement to cross.||Turkey|
Air units have no restrictions for any strait or canal.
Political Situation There will be NO major neutral Powers. ALL Powers begin the game AT WAR. Both the Soviet Union and the US may attack anyone from the onset of the game.
Neutrals There are three types of neutrals:
- pro-Axis: When an Axis unit moves into one of these zones for the first time, that country gets a one-time bonus number of infantry, specified on the map, and control of the territory. The new infantry cannot be moved until the next turn.
- pro-Allies: When an Allied unit moves into one of these zones for the first time, that country gets a one-time bonus number of infantry, specified on the map, and control of the territory. The new infantry cannot be moved until the next turn.
- Regular: If a power attacks a regular neutral, all the other regular neutrals on the board become friendly to the other team.
Note: Capture of friendly neutrals must be done during Non Combat Movement.
When a country moves into a regular or non-friendly neutral during the combat move, it must conduct combat with the number of infantry specified on the map for that neutral. If it loses or retreats, however many infantry that remain are how many that stay in the zone. This means that if Finland was +4 for Axis, and Russia kills 2 infantry and retreats, then Axis only get 2 infantry when they move into Finland.
National Objectives Germany*5 PUs for each German controlled territory: Volgograd or Novgorod or Russia.
- 5 PUs if Axis controls the Caucasus.
- 5 PUs if there is at least one German land unit in Egypt, whether or not it is controlled by Italy or Germany or Japan.
- 5 PUs if Germany controls both Denmark and Norway and Sweden is not allied-controlled or pro-allied.
- 2 PUs for each German controlled territory: Iraq or Persia or Northwest Persia.
Russia*5 PUs if Russia is at war, sz125 has no Axis warships (all sea units except transports), Archangel is Russia-controlled, and there are no allied units in any originally Russian territories.
- 3 PUs for each originally German, Italian, or Pro-Axis neutral territory that Russia controls.
- 10 PUs one time only, the first time Russia conquers Germany (Berlin).
Japan*5 PUs if Axis controls all of Guam, Midway, Wake Island, Gilbert Islands, and Solomon Islands.
- 5 PUs for each Axis controlled territory: Hawaii, India, New South Wales, and Western United States.
- 5 PUs if Axis controls all of Sumatra, Java, Borneo, and Celebes.
UK*5 PUs for UK Europe if UK Europe controls of its original territories.
- 5 PUs for UK Pacific if UK Pacific controls both Kwangtung and Malaya.
ANZAC*5 PUs if the Allies control Malaya, and ANZAC controls all of their original territories.
- 5 PUs if the Allies (not including Dutch) control all of Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain, and the Solomon Islands.
Italy*5 PUs if no Allied ships are in the Med: sz92,...,sz99.
- 5 PUs if Axis control at least 3 of: Gibraltar, Egypt, Southern France and Greece.
- 5 PUs if Axis controll all of: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Tobruk, and Alexandria.
- 2 PUs for each Italian controlled territory: Iraq or Persia or Northwest Persia.
USA*10 PUs if EUS, WUS, and CUS are American-controlled.
- 5 PUs if Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Hawaiian Islands, and Johnston Island, and Line Islands are American-controlled.
- 5 PUs if Mexico, South Eastern Mexico, Central America, and West Indies are American-controlled.
- 5 PUs if the Philippines is American-controlled.
- 5 PUs each turn the USA has one land unit in France.
China*6 PUs and may build artillery if the Allies control India, Burma, Yunnan, and Szechwan.
French*12 PUs worth of free units in France the first time France is Liberated (The engine will give you 4 infantry automatically. Use edit mode if you want something other than 4 infantry by deleting the infantry and replacing them with what you really want).
Kamikaze Attacks Japan starts the game with 6 attack tokens, and may begin doing Kamikaze Attacks at the start of the game.
These attacks can only be done in sea zones that contain the Kamikaze symbol [the sea zones surrounding: Japan, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Formosa, and the Marianas].
At the end of Japan's enemy's combat-move phase, Japan may target any surface warship in a Kamikaze zone for one or more Kamikaze attacks, ONLY if the enemy is attacking Japanese units there or is conducting an Amphibious Assault from that sea zone.
For each attack, a die is rolled, and a 2 or less is considered a hit. Casualties are removed immediately, and do not participate in any battles. Kamikaze attacks prevent bombardment as well.
Submarines Prevent Unescorted Transports From Making Amphibious Assaults In any Sea Zone containing an enemy submarine, but not containing an owned warship, the submarine will prevent the offloading of troops for an amphibious assault.
Scrambling Fighters and/or Tactical bombers can be scrambled from any territory bordering a sea zone, with an operating airfield (less than 3 damage) to help defend the surrounding sea zone using their standard defense values. They cannot retreat from scrambling (defenders can never retreat) and if the territory they were scrambled from is captured, they're given one extra movement point to land on a friendly territory or open carrier. Scrambled air cannot participate in any other battles that round.
Strategic Bombing Runs (SBR) Bombing can now happen against both types of ICs, harbours, and airfields (attackers choice)[tactical bombers can not target factories though]. Fighters can participate in the bombing run as escorts. Fighters in the territory being bombed can be launched as interceptors (no airfield necessary).
If interceptors are launched: a one-round air battle takes place right away all air involved roll at 1 (jets rolls at 2). Either attacking bombers or fighters can be taken as casualties.
After the air battle, or if there were no interceptors, the escorts are retreated and any bombers/tacs remaining can now be divied up to attack specific targets. Each target rolls its built-in AA gun against the bombers/tacs targetting it. If there is an AA gun in the territory being bombed it does not roll because its there to defend combat units and not complexes/bases.
If any enemy ships are in a power's blockade zones at the end of that power's turn, and the power controls the adjacent ground territory, then the power may lose some of the PUs it would have otherwise collected.
Surface warships roll 1 dice, Submarines and Air units roll 2 dice, and carriers and transports roll zero dice. For any roll of 3 or less, that amount of PUs will not be collected by the surrounding land territories. The power in question cannot lose more PUs from a blockade zones then the worth of the adjacent ground territory to those zones.
Placement Restrictions*Major Industrial Complexes can only go in territories worth 3 or more, and must be originally owned territories in the 1940 scenario.
- Minor Industrial Complexes can only go in territories worth 2 or more.
- Industrial Complexes can't be built on islands.
- Over-purchase is returned and money is reimbursed.
- Aircraft can be placed on the ground or on a [new] carrier in the adjacent sea zone that has a spot(s) open.
Units These changes to units are things other than price/movement which you can see in the buy menu.
- Bombers now do 2 additional damage in strategic bombing raids, in addition to their dice roll.
- Carriers are two hit.
- Minor Industrial Complexes have 3 production capacity. A Minor IC can be upgraded to a Major IC for 20 PUs, but only on originally owned territories.
- Major Industrial Complexes have 10 production capacity. When a Major IC is captured it automatically becomes a minor IC.
- AA Guns may be taken casualty in combat, and may only fire at up to 3 aircraft each.
New Units Tactical Bombers: can land on carriers, can bomb, and if paired with a tank or fighter the Tac attacks at 4. Tactical Bombers can also strategic bomb Airfields and Harbours (but not factories). Mechanized Infantry: can blitz when paired with a tank, and are supportable by artillery. Carriers: now have 2 hitpoints, and when damaged they do not allow fighters to land, or to leave if cargo.
New Buildings Harbour: Any ships that start their turn in a sea zone adjacent to a harbour get +1 movement points. Any damaged ships are repaired by a harbour at the start of the player's purchase and repair turn phase. Lastly, harbours can be bombed, and if they have 3 or more damage then they do not provide the above bonuses. Airfield: Any air that start their turn on the ground territory with an airfield get +1 movement points. Airfields allow up to 3 planes on that island to scramble (see Scramble section above). Airfields can be bombed, and if they have 3 or more damage then they do not provide the movement bonus.
Credits to Veqryn for almost all related Engine code that allows this map to work.
Stopped British fighters from dying if UK Pacific could place a carrier under them.
Stopped Chinese from being affected by sea zone blockades.
Prevented defensive subs from firing before attackers if an attacking destroyer is present.
Various fixes for paratroopers (airborne) tech.
Various other engine related fixes, and updated game notes with a complete list of rules not enforced.
Moved Politics phase to be after Purchase phase and before Combat Move phase.
China can declare war on European Axis if they move into China's allowed movement range.
ANZAC can now declare war on True Neutrals.
Created this 1942 scenario.
Fixing Japanese objective for taking local power centers like India, to allow allies to take them as well.
Fixing rockets so that many rockets can target the same infrastructure per turn.
Getting British and UK Pacific turn summary posting to be combined.
Deleted connection between 115 Sea Zones and Poland, and changed map tiles to show a connection.
Added in Objective tab text and conditions.
Updating to Global 2nd Edition by removing 1 UK infantry from Egypt.
Updating to Global 2nd Edition by adding Korea to the list of territories that Russia can not attack without permanently losing the ability for Manchuria to join Russia.
Updating to Global 2nd Edition by removing Yukon Territory from map.
Allowed UK_Pacific to repair airfields and harbours under its control.
Disallowed China to repair anything.
Fixing small issue with American not correctly becoming friendly/war with True Neutrals if Japan declares war on all true neutrals before America is at war with Germany.
Fixing issue with trying to Undo a UK europe placement, that previously generated a null pointer error.
Fixing some errors in game notes.
Fixing some errors in game notes.
Creating small variation mod.
Created game option to force tech tokens to be removed after rolling them, regardless of success.
Preventing British and UK_Pacific from both rolling for Warbonds. Instead only British will roll, unless their capital is taken, then UK Pacific will.
Preventing Kamikaze Suicide Attacks from occuring all the time, now should only occur when there is a battle or an amphibious attack from that sea zone.
Created game option that prevent unescorted transports from conducting amphibious assaults.
Added all technology to Global 1940.
Allowed paratroopers to be moved in a second combat movement phase.
Made bonus for Mech Infantry work correctly.
Made Rockets go 4 spaces and not fly over neutrals.
Allowed UK_Pacific to share the cost of researching technology.
Made British share all technology with UK_Pacific.
Allowed Convoy Blockades to roll dice (you can turn this off in game options).
Allowed Low Luck for Strategy Bombing and Rockets to be set again.
Stopped British air units from dying if UK_Pacific was building a factory under them.
Forced Tactical Bombers to only be able to target airfields and harbours.
Allowed Submarines to enter any sea zone during non-combat, but end movement if there is an enemy Destroyer present.
Allowed Italy and Germany to declare war on Russia seperately, and for Russia to declare war seperately as well.
Made Mongolian territories flip to Russian even if Japan attacks but loses against a Russian border territory.
Allowed Chinese units to enter Burma and Kwangtung.
Made all factories on originally Chinese territories be deleted if China controls them.
Added connection between 30 and 31 Sea Zones, and changed map tiles to show a connection.
Deleted connection between Newfoundland Labrador and 121 Sea Zone.
Deleted connection between Rio de Oro and French West Africa.
Added connection between Rio de Oro and Algeria.
Deleted connection between Eastern Persia and 79 Sea Zone.
Fixed issue with Japanese objective for Trade with America.
Allowed user to choose AA casualties.
Fixing Strategic Bombers so that they add +2 damage onto raids.
Allowed USA to go to war if Japan declares war on ANZAC / UK.
Added one missing UK infantry to Egypt.
Dropped price of Cruisers to 9, when you have shipyards tech.
Deleting connection between Timguska and Kazakhstan.
Adding missing artwork for radar tech.
Allowed Axis powers to declare war on Americans separately, and for Americans to declare war on each Axis power separately.
Fixed Danish Straight to only require Denmark.
Fixed Japanese National Objective for controlling India, Hawaii, New South Wales, and Western United States.
Allowed Japan and ANZAC to take over friendly neutrals on European board.
German objective for unit in Egypt now counts for 5 instead of 3 pus.
Added missing art for Airfields with Rockets.
Fixed issue with Mongolian units not converting to Russians under most circumstances.
Prevented placement of factory units on islands on the pacific side.
Switched Jehol and Shantung production.
Changing Russian Lend Lease objective to only work when at war with Germany or Italy.
Changing politics to match Alpha +3 politics.
Finishing stupidly complex Mongolian rules and their triggers and politics.
Fixing Russian nationa objective for sz125 so that it affects all units except transports.
Added Mongolia in order to have complex Mongolian rules.
Finishing Alpha +3 National Objectives.
Preventing Combat-Movement takeover of Friendly Neutrals. You must now wait for Non-Combat Movement phase to take over them.
Allowing Submarines to pass through Straight of Gibraltar no matter who controls it.
Adding connection between Timguska and Novosibirsk.
Adding connection between Sikang and Tsinghai.
Deleting connection between SZ65 and Ecuador.
Deleting connection between SZ76 and Kenya.
Deleting connection between SZ86 and French Guiana.
Deleting connection between SZ88 and Venezuela.
Deleting connection between SZ89 and Central USA.
Fixed bug preventing UK_Pacific units from turning into British units.
Adding missing connection from French West Africa to Nigeria.
Deleting connection between SZ95 and Southern France.
Deleting Morocco from Gibraltar canal.
Everything done, now playtesting.